STEP ONE - DIET
ONE WEEK PRIOR TO SURGERY:
Stop taking all blood thinning medications, including Coumadin, Plavix, Aspirin, or Aspirin containing medications (such as Excedrin). stop taking anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, Aleve, Mortin or Advil.
THREE DAYS PRIOR TO SURGERY:
Stop taking any fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, Fiber-Con, etc. You may continue to eat fiber-containing foods.
ONE DAY BEFORE SURGERY:
Maintain a clear liquid diet all day. Do not eat solid food of any kind. Have nothing to eat or drink after Midnight.
A clear Liquid Diet Consists of:
Soups: Clear bouillon, chicken broth, vegetable broth, beef broth or consomme.
Beverages: Tea, Coffee (no dairy creamer/milk), Kool-Aid, carbonated beverages, or Gatorade. You may add sugar, artificial sweeteners, and non-dairy creamers to coffee or tea.
Juices: Apple, white grape, strained lemonade, limeade, orangeade or any juice that you can see through, and has no pulp, is acceptable.
Dessert: Italian ices, popsicles, Jell-o and hard candy.
STEP 2 - BOWEL PREP
One Day Before Surgery
It is very important to remove all the solid material from the bowel prior to surgery. Residual bacteria will be controlled with simultaneous use of oral antibiotics. The following instructions are very important and must be followed exactly. If you find that you are having problems completing your prep, please call the office 253 572-7120 during business hours, and someone will be able to help you.
- Start your prep by taking two 5mg bisacodyl delayed release tablets before 12 noon.
- Add a flavor pack of choice (if applicable) to the 2 liter container. Prepare the HalfLytely solution by filling the container to the 2 liter mark with water. Cap the container and shake to dissolve the powder.
- Wait until you pass a bowel movement (up to 6 hours), then drink the 2 liter HalfLytely solution at a rate of 8 ounces every 10 minutes until finished.
- If you have stomach upset, cramping, abdominal pain or nausea, stop drinking the prep for up to 45 minutes until symptoms have subsided. Then resume the prep. You will also be given a prescription for Reglan, which helps with upset stomach.
- You need to take 2 different antibiotics, Neomycin and Flagyl. You should take both of these at 1:00 pm, 2:00pm and 11:00pm.
- You will also be given a prescription for a Fleets enema. Use the enema as directed the night before your surgery.
- It is important that you take a shower or bath in the morning before coming to the hospital.
DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT BEFORE YOUR SURGERY.
If you have been instructed to take medication the night before, or the morning of your surgery, you may do this with a sip of water. Do not have morning coffee and do not chew gum.
Do bring chewing gum with you to the hospital. Using chewing gum after surgery stimulates normal bowel function, and can help speed up your recovery.